HiDef Aerial Surveying Limited is known for its market leading, innovative digital aerial surveys, which have been deployed in seven countries. We are expanding rapidly across all of our services, combining technical and scientific excellence, and it is crucial to the company that we continue to deliver data and information with high scientific value and lead in the innovation of new products based upon credible science. Our consultancy services include high-end data analysis, web-based application development, impact assessment and machine learning, often working with our sister company BioConsult SH in Germany, other partners and domain experts.
The role of Ecological Modeller is a permanent, full time position within HiDef Aerial Surveying Limited (HiDef) has been created in recognition of the need to expand ecological modelling and scientific services supporting the high workload currently being undertaken. HiDef wish to remain fully aware of all new analytical techniques and challenges in the field of ornithological survey, wildlife assessment, statistical analysis, monitoring, and reporting. The candidate will work with the Lead Ecological Modeller to progress work streams at an exciting time for marine renewables and ecological data collection.
The role will support the current team and will ensure scientific and statistical knowledge and capacity is expanded within the company.
Required skills include:
- • MSc or higher in an ecological or data modelling subject or equivalent experience;
- • Fluency in the R programming language for workflows and modelling;
- • Fluency with geostatistical software (e.g., ArcGIS, QGIS, and/or spatial packages in R);
- • Knowledge of species distribution modelling techniques;
- • Knowledge of marine ecosystems, particularly focused on seabirds and/or marine mammals;
- • Strong statistical knowledge;
- • Evidence of writing reports and/or scientific papers; and
- • Strong problem-solving skills.
Optional desirable skills include:
- • Programming proficiency in Python, C++ or other languages;
- • Understanding or experience with applying deep learning techniques; and
- • Understanding of standard machine learning and/or Bayesian statistics.
The role will include, but not be limited to:
- • Coding ecologically-based statistical models in the R programming language for a variety of real-world problems.
- • Working with GIS software (ArcGIS/QGIS or other) to generate maps and/or analyses for clients
- • Coding workflows to automate internal file processes.
- • Writing technical reports and articles, including graphs, maps and drawings;
- • Preparing and presenting environmental data reports for clients, government agencies, and within companies, often to non-technical audiences;
- • Appropriate interaction within the Company to ensure HiDef remains at the forefront of ecological statistical industry, applying the most cost-effective methods and approaches, providing leading-edge products and services and retaining its competitive edge;
- • Developing and maintaining professional links between HiDef and sister company BioConsult SH including the development of new business streams and methods of working;
- • Responsibility for the delivery of external client reporting, including ensuring accuracy of content and delivery deadlines continue to be met;
- • Development and identification of business opportunities, proposal inputs including bid preparation;
- • Identifying symposia to promote the Company’s work and services and gain information on, technique advances and wider knowledge developments;
- • Any other responsibilities as the Company may see fit.
Applications, including your latest CV, should be sent to Elaine Southward by close of business on 11 September 2020